Monday, September 6, 2010

Make it spunky, monkey



So, I'm cheating. My first post is about two movies that aren't exactly movies. Apropos of nothing, BAMcinematek screened these gems back to back: The Motown Revue and The Rolling Stones 1964-1975. Cue Bill Shelley, a film archivist with an arsenal of rare live performance footage of every kind. He's digitizing his collection and occasionally edits what he likes for screenings. Kind of like a live performance mix tape. Oh, did I just drool in public?

This amazing clip catches many highlights not including Otis Redding shakin' out to "Shake" with Eric Burden from the Animals and Tina Turner's "Honkey Tonk Woman," ooooh man, I haven't even mentioned the Stones....

But this isn't a music blog so I'll wrap things up here. Bill's website is being reworked and will hopefully include a larger (and errr, more detailed) roster of screenings to catch around the country. I'll keep ya'll posted - they are not to be missed. --Lex


No comments:

Post a Comment